Misun Hur, Ph.D.
Department of Geography, Planning, and Environment
Thomas Harriot College of
Arts and Sciences
East Carolina University
A-212 Brewster Building
Greenville, NC 27858-4353
Curriculum Vitae (PDF format)
PLAN3022. History and Theory of Planning (Spring 2014 syllabus)
PLAN3022 provides an analysis of past and present planning concepts, history, and theories. The course is designed to bring to bear a wide range of literature in the social sciences, philosophy, and policy studies on the variety material topics of planning practice and theory.
PLAN3030. Urban and Regional
Planning (Fall 2013 syllabus)
PLAN3030 deals with urban and regional planning at a general introductory level. It covers a wide variety of topics, including the history of planning in the United States, various planning tools, legal and social issues of planning, ethnic and cultural diversity and their relevance for planning. Students are also introduced to different subfields of planning such as, urban design, transportation planning, housing, community development, land-use, growth management, environmental planning, and urban development.
PLAN4025. Housing and Neighborhood Planning (Spring 2014 syllabus)
Problems and development of housing and community issues have been major concerns in planning, which affect the all levels of government decision making. PLAN4025 provides students with an introductory survey of the concepts, problems, issues, and public policies related to housing and neighborhood planning. Current local, state, and federal policies, housing trends in the United States are discussed. Students are also review various community development techniques, and case studies.
Partnered with the City of Greenville Neighborhood Advisory Board, students work with the NAB members throughout the semester and contribute to the city's neighborhood symposium with the project finals.
PLAN3041. Computer Applications in Planning (Fall 2013 syllabus)
Today, planning is much more visual and computer aided. Computer aided design skills are highly recommended for a planner to strengthen public participation in planning, to aid the public in understanding proposed plans, and to help communicating with various stakeholders. This course is designed to introduce various computer applications from communication tools (CMapTools and Jing), to Online questionnaire application (Qualtrics), to new cloud-based presentation application (Prezi), to image manipulation software (Adobe Photoshop), and to publishing software (Adobe InDesign).
My research interests are an understanding of the
built environment and human interactions within it, and technology-based
research with visualization supports. Primary interests include environment and
behavior research, community-engaged participatory action research, research methods
in social relations, Geographic Information
System, and interdisciplinary research.
· Hur, M. & Li, Y. (under review). The association of concentrated disadvantages, foreclosure intensity and neighborhood satisfaction. Environment & Behavior.
· Hur, M. & Bollinger, A. (under review). Neighborhood associations and their strategic actions to enhance residents' neighborhood satisfaction. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly.
· Jun, H-J. & Hur, M. (under review). The relationship between walkability and neighborhood social environment: The importance of actual and perceived walkability. Journal of Environmental Psychology.
· Hur, M. & Nasar, J. L. (2013). Physical upkeep, perceived upkeep, fear of crime, and neighborhood satisfaction. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 38, 186-194.
· Hur, M. Nasar, J. L. & Chun, B. (2010). Neighborhood satisfaction, physical and perceived naturalness and openness. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 30, 52-59.
· Hur, M. & Morrow-Jones, H. (2008). Factors that influence residents' satisfaction with neighborhoods. Environment & Behavior, 40(5), 619-635.
· Chin, Y., Hur, M., & Hong, Y. (2000). Meaning of the conventional market place derived from the merchant's point of view. Journal of Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture, 28(1), 118-128. (in Korean)
· Chin, Y., & Hur, M. (1999). A qualitative analysis toward the urban life using Chungryangri residents' DLR (Daily Life Records) data. Journal of Urban Sciences at the University of Seoul, 25(1), 175-192. (in Korean)
· Hur, M., & Chin, Y. (1996). GIS-oriented measurement indices of accessibility of neighborhood parks in Seoul. Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture, 24(3), 42-56. (in Korean)
· Choi, K., Kim, H., Chin, Y., Chin, S., & Hur, M. (1995). A study on the facilities distribution based on the choice model of the outdoor leisure facilities in a neighborhood unit of the Megalopolis citizens. Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture, 23(1), 123-139. (in Korean)
· Art + Community: Reducing crime and building connections in a town and gown neighborhood
· Section 8 housings in neighborhood: Residents' perceptions
· Redefining roles: Flipping a class for computer application instruction in Planning
· Transformed urban social morphology during the era of housing foreclosure crisis
· Challenges and opportunities for the Latino immigrant communities in Eastern North Carolina: Methodological approach
Last updated July 25, 2014